DIY Cake Lace
You may have noticed we're no longer stocking the Flexi Lace in store. The decision to stop stocking this brands made after they increased their prices by a ridiculous margin, but never fear I have an alternative for you. The recipe below makes a beautiful cake lace, that is flexible and easy to use. To make it even better, it's made using ingredients most cakers will already own.
CAKE LACE RECIPE:
1 Tablespoon Tylose Powder
60ml Boiling Water
1 Tablespoon Icing Sugar
2 Tablespoons Cornflour
1/4 Teaspoon Meringue Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Corn Syrup
Gel Colour as Needed
1. Place Tylose Powder in a small heatproof bowl and mix in boiling water with a whisk or fork. It will be lumpy, so let it sit for a few minutes and the lumps will dissolve somewhat.
2. Add in Icing Sugar, Cornflour and Meringue Powder.
3. Add Corn Syrup and Colour or Whitener
4. If not at spreadable consistency, add a small amount of boiling water.
- Be careful not too add too much water as this will cause the lace to tear easily.
5. Cover with cling wrap until needed, keeps well in fridge for a week.
6. Dry made lace in moulds overnight at room temperature or in oven at 50 degrees celsius for 10-15 mins. Don't over dry in oven, as this will make the lace brittle.
Note: The recipe will work without meringue powder, but it will not be as flexible.
Happy Caking everyone.